PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: The Ambidji Report – CASA should get their money back!
Old 14th Sep 2009, 12:50
Big_Binocs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clinton

One question for ATC'ers re Westmead: Would reinstatement of the Westmead IRP create any complications for EMS helos getting in and out of the HLS at the hospital?
That little wedge of airspace between YSBK and WST would be a very congested piece of airspace if WST were reinstated.

As it stands now there are numerous heli ops in that area with choppers operating in all directions at various altitudes, there is the heliport at RSH, the entry/exit to R405, floatplanes to the harbour and aircraft departing north from YSBK.

The Medical choppers already contend with that and manage to negotiate transit through PSP and the LOE into WST, whether they currently encounter complications with just that mix I do not know. I would suggest that if you were to add more fixed wing traffic transitting that area into and out of YSBK that there aren't enough eyes in the world to keep an effective lookout for traffic that could be anywhere and tracking any which way at various altitudes and probably totally unannounced, no alerted see-and-avoid. That's a lot of criss-crossing traffic, compressed into an operating area less than 2000ft and what about the entry/exit altitudes for YSBK?

Personally I don't see WST being reopened, or the need for it either. The VCA prevention for the SY CTR would probably rate as more important. But I also didn't think I'd see GAAP turn into D in my time either so what would I know?

As others have mentioned I think better education and compliance would be a more effective option. And not only for student pilots and instructors, there are plenty of "professionals" and private pilots who seem to have the same troubles.

Cheers