PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Met Office - not fit for purpose?
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2009, 10:47
Metman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robin, I think you need to have a serious think about the information you are using, and what you are using it for. TAF = Terminal Area Forecast... therefore its the forecast for the airfield its written for - nowhere else. Clue is in the title... Its not an en-route forecast, so don't treat it as such, otherwise you're just asking for trouble! For your own safety and the safety of others, get a forecast or product thats designed for the job, and don't try to bodge it with local forecasts / observations that tell you nothing about the conditions in between!

I've been out of the frontline Met business for a while now, so I can't really say why fronts have been removed from charts and suchlike - I agree - it seems daft as they are significant features that don't just affect surface weather conditions! So why don't they appear on the SigWx??? What chart number / Metform product is it you're using? Own goal by the Met Office there I feel... It may be a technical issue with some of the newer systems they are using?

Have you tried feeding this back officially and directly to the Met Office?? At least you might get an official explanation and if there is enough feedback saying the same thing, portentially a resolution.