PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What altitude will you fly after a missed visual approach?
Old 14th Sep 2009, 09:20
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are still as such doing the initial cleared approach
The whole point is that you are not doing the IAP. That is where the confusion arises with regard to what missed approach procedure to do.

There is no obstacle clearance requriements and no protected area and no missed approach point and no missed approach procedure for a visual approach.

How can you have a publsied missed approach procedure for a procedure that is not published?

Here is a good example - The weather is CAVOK. You are being vectored for the ILS 23R at Manchester. While 5nm north of the field You request and are cleared for a visual approach number 1. Just after that, the ILS goes off the air. Do you now have a problem? How are you going to proceed since under your personal rule, you are still flying the ILS, you simply have the ability to cut some corners and are still flying the ILS IAP?

If I am flying a visual approach, I really don't care if all the approach aids fail. After all, I am already visual and I do not need them to guide me to a point where I can continue visually - which after all is the whoe reason for an IAP.