PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ansett gone .......but forgotten?
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2009, 06:19
ozangel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
enough of this 89 stuff here - take it elsewhere.
In response, I remember Ansett with greater fondness than most of my dead family members - and no doubt there would be others like me.
Bring back the $800 fare I say - most people here have staff travel or ID fares anyway (at least it might be of value if the fares were $800!!). Most of the people who are members of that 'I dont care what you did at ansett' group are too young to appreciate what it was, or are disrespecting the experience of anyone who has endured some sort of change in the industry affecting their working conditions or pay.

I wonder if anyone will ever use the Ansett name again. Sure, Pan Am didnt work, nor did Compass - but do you think there could be a market one day to brand an airline Ansett, and succeed?

And no - we are not better off - airlines still struggle to make money or succeed with a loss - yet we are (as said) sitting in a tin shed, being abused by some overworked underpaid flight attendants, flown by disinterested pilots, all with families they never see and working under 20yo HR 'executive' types that just love to get in the way of a good night out on the piss in DRW. Engineers are pretty much in the same boat, and the ground staff have all retired or gone to work in banks having been replaced with the 'revolving door' contractor operation that 'performances' everyone out when they turn 21 or join a union.

Sure, back then, it was expensive to fly, and bloody hard to get a job - but we were paid appropriately, respected, and the job was much much easier (whether youre a pilot, fa, ginger or groundie). There was more 'oops, that was dangerous, better fix it' and far far less of this 'crap we just killed/injured someone' better employ more lawyers and give the HR person who sacked the crew a pay rise'.

My opinion anyway.

Last edited by ozangel; 14th Sep 2009 at 06:31.