PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet Lost 40 mn USD ... Datta
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2009, 04:10
jimmygill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jet Lost 40 mn USD ... Datta

A grim Executive Director Saroj Dutta revealed to mediapersons Sunday afternoon that on an average the airlines is patronized by nearly 24,000 passengers daily across its network spanning domestic and international sectors.
"On an average, our daily revenues are in the range of $8 million (Rs.40 crore), so you can calculate how much we stand to lose for the past five days," he said.
Can we calculate? The newspapers reported around 40% flights cancellation, lets make it 50% flights cancelled. So a 50% revenue lost... thats is when the flights that operated continued to have the same load factor as they used to carry before the strike.

So daily revenue loss should be $4 mn. Since the aircraft that didn't operate, didn't consume any fuel and fuel is somewhere around 25% of operating cost. I will make the net loss $3 million.

I will assume landing charges and parking charges to be same for a day, so will not adjust that factor.

Mr Datta is highly paid employee of Jet airways, and he should report big losses. But what about that news reporter, could not he/she have devised a more responsible/neutral headline.

Reminds me of Jefferson Airplane's, "Feed your head, feed your head".