PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA Head Concerned With Cockpit Experience
Old 14th Sep 2009, 01:11
Clandestino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This guy is full of stuff politicians are made of.

Of course there was "a complete inattention to basic details", but how could appeal to professionalism help pilots who lost basic self-preservation instinct? For late mr Renslow and late ms Shaw applied stall recovery procedures contrary to any known one which doesn't include inverted flight (and no half-assed comments on tailplane stalls, please - they don't go together with stickshakers). If they consistently pulled off such a feats they would never, ever be allowed to go solo, let alone be issued with any kind of pilot's licence. It wasn't about experience, it was about being dead tired to the point of incapacitation.

I would take mr Babbit more seriously if he used Pinnacle 3701 to illustrate dangers of being unprofessional. As it i is I'm afraid that while in principle his stressing of importance of being experienced professional is praiseworthy, his real motive is to obscure the systemic causes of Colgan 3407 accident. What needs to be done to prevent another similar mishap is: pay crews sufficiently so they can afford decent accommodation near their base, ban reporting to duty directly after commuting and then really enforce the ban, set rosters in a way that enables crews to safely commute. Of course it won't be done, because (or at least that's what we're told) it would be ruinous for entire airline industry. Seemingly the chosen alternative is to pursue cheaper but ineffective solutions and hope good luck will see us through.... at least till the end of the term.

Just to add to Bealzeub's excellent post about dangers of complacency. Donnie Williams, F-4 instructor, was chosen for USAF instructor of the year in 1985. which shows that he was really among the finest aviators. However, ten years later, the peak in Colombia, named El Deluvio, couldn't care less about his or his captain's experience as hopelessly lost B757 flew through the night towards it. Most of you know that there's no "They lived happily ever after" at the end of this story.