PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS interview process
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2009, 21:06
Pat42

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finto,

With regards to your questions:

are the many questions regarding all the aircraft information towards the back
Only a couple, but I'd advise you do your best to revise it all as you never know what those couple of questions will be.

Does anyone know good links for practice tests on the shape tests etc?
There don't seem to be many practice resources available for these apart from what NATS give you. There have been a lot of questions on this thread about this, but I don't think I've seen any links to more examples of these as NATS (& Eurocontrol with the FEAST test) seem to be the only people who use them. You could try creating your own practice questions, but otherwise there's not a lot of practice you can do.

It's also worth practising your mental arithmatic. A good website with lots of questions similar to those you'll be asked in the NATS tests is Speed Distance Time | OASC: RAF Officer and Aircrew Selection Centre

I heard there are some questions regarding calculating distances from one airport to another, any info on this or where I would get practice material.
They throw in one or two questions about distances between a few major european airports on the ATC motivation paper (the one based upon the document). I thought this was a bit mean as this info isn't in the document, but I guess they are free to throw anything at you they like. It's multiple choice, so you don't need to know precise distances, but it might help to brush up on your european geography so you've got a good mental map of where everything is, that way if you just learn a few distances then you should be able to work others out reasonably accurately.

I wouldn't worry too much about this, I completely shot myself in the foot on these questions and still got through. I'd recently driven one of the routes they asked for so tried to remember the mileage I'd done... only to realise after I'd finished that the figure I used was the mileage for the return trip rather than a single leg. I then screwed up the second question as well because I tried to calculate it as a fraction of the distance I'd worked out for the previous question