PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Injured soldiers to be encouraged to leave armed forces
Old 13th Sep 2009, 19:05
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Harsh as it may seem, the Forces can't retain every one who has been injured or physically or mentally unfit. Whereas a small number can be retained and employed in sedentary positions because of skills and knowledge, retaining 5000+ non-deployable, predominantly young men in the Army, does no one any good. I'm travelling on the train with a team of professional Rugby League players and I put it to one of them - imagine if you lost a leg, say, would you be happy just to stay in the stands or soem job in the club rooms? No was the considered answer. Mrs WP also works for a national disability charity and shares similar views.

With the equivalent of an enhanced BG manpower non-effective, time to let people go with the correct support and assistance, and where appropriate, compensation. The scheme is under review - again, yet those who complain about it conveniently forget the annual inflation adjustment living payments, which over the course of the penison will typically equal - if not a lot more - the lump sum. Public support and good will is as high as during the Falklands War and local authorities and the NHS are better directed at assisting injured service personnel (see the latest update of the Service Personnel Command Paper). If you or so one you know is not getting the support that they deserve, kick up a fuss.

And whilst we are at it, I fully support discharging lard-arses that consistently fail the fitness test. Not only do we all need to be fit to fight, what about personal pride and self esteem?