PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Injured soldiers to be encouraged to leave armed forces
Old 13th Sep 2009, 17:13
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
PN -

I can see exactly what you are suggesting, and I wish I could guarantee that it would only be used as a a measure to weedle out those who repeatedly fail to meet the mark.

However, I just cannot see how this Govt won't turn it into a way of getting rid of what they see as 'expensive emabarassments'. You know full well the way things have gone - it is all about the bottom line. If you can't quantify something or it is perceived to not be value for money, then it has no place in today's Armed Forces. As much as I would like to think otherwise, those who have suffered serious injuries in the line of duty will no doubt be seen as fair game for dismissal under this scheme. Much cheaper to pay them off and get rid of them rather than put the time, effort and money into rehabilitating them. After all, we saw them trying to get payments reduced for injured personnel only the other week.

Prove me wrong, and I'll gladly eat my hat. But you just know that this thought has crossed their minds - it has all the hallmarks of how the Brown administration works.