PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Injured soldiers to be encouraged to leave armed forces
Old 13th Sep 2009, 16:56
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Melchett01
It's got nothing to do with the bone idle, lazy and those who haven't seen their feet when standing up for the past 5 years. It's about this Govt trying to change the system to get of those who they see as an expensive inconvenience, having been injured carrying out this Govt's policies.
Are you sure?

The article seems to muddle up two issues. Those made unfit through accident or hostile actions and those that are simply unfit. Selectively editing out would leave:

. . . British troops who are . . . medically physically? unfit are to be encouraged to leave the armed forces . . .

. . . to target between 5,000 and 6,000 service personnel who are unable to work but remain on the payroll.

senior military figures . . . ease out so-called “bed blockers” . . . without adequate compensation.

The Ministry of Defence admitted . . . 14.6 percent . . . unfit for combat duties.

“Up to now it has usually been possible to find odd jobs for these people. . . "

Soldiers injured in combat receive compensation and a pension when leaving. They can also apply for up to £6,000 to spend on training and rehabilitation.”
I know of several servicemen who are fit only for limited duties, and while they may perform in a UK-only role, and thus mean that those fully fit rotate through operational theatres rather more frequently than they otherwise might.