PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which flight trainning school to choose????
Old 13th Sep 2009, 11:35
rockingh0rse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is wrong with telling everyone our own (personally experienced) views on flying schools?
If it's personal experience (and can be proved), what's everyone so scared of?

Paris...
I went to OFT and had a rough time. A lot of it was my own fault. I chose the option to do the whole PPL in 2 weeks (don't think this option still exists!). This means extreme everything. Even with studying before you get there and just doing one exam per day, you have so much flying to do in such a short amount of time and this is soooo mentally tiring when you can't yet fly! I remember I was getting about 4 hours sleep a day. Having to get up at 5 to make a VFR flight plan, call the weather people (who are excellent, this should be a basic requirement worldwide), get to the aircraft for 6 and pre-flight it. Go up with an instructor that doesn't want to be there.

Anyway, I digress. I could go on but don't have time.
If you have more time - take a month - do it at a leasurely pace and you should be ok. They have plenty of aircraft, reasonable condition. If you use Kissimmee as a base, there are plenty of things to do and plenty of other people around. Like I said, I chose the wrong formula, one aircraft, one instructor and one airfield (a way away and we were alone)!
I am thinking of going to EFT now (haven't been totally put off Florida) but don't go in Summer... serious thunderstorms _every_ afternoon!