PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are engine failures always recoverable in helicopters?
Old 13th Sep 2009, 11:32
topendtorque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that 100' hover flight position is an indicator of lack of pilot acumen for sure
Guess you haven't done those certain type of jobs then...
my apols, I should have qualified that, with - when there is no need to especially in a lightie, like an R22 when mustering.

One of the things I spend a lot of time with on C & T is "impressing" those who don't think about that with a heap of hover autos from 300'. Particularly impressive in an R22.

Good Grief, you're back!!

As far as, "those types of jobs", well I have only done about 90 or 100 sling endorsements, short, long, pick yer nose, drop a mag on vertical out, because dumkompf didn't check his, all that. Does that answer your statement.

I've done a number of practice autos from ~100',
you're as guilty as me gomer, no qualification. With or without airspeed? heavy or light inertia? Etc.

The real recip usually does give a little warning,

1. fuel starvation, one cough, then silence,

2. magneto drive failure, one cough, then silence. usually more than enough time to galvinise the reactionary mode into top gear well before the sinking bit occurs. Probably all a lot more sudden than a turbine winddown.

3. sinking instantly only occurs with a free wheel failure, believe me, at the same time of course as a god awful horrendous din out the back. more than enough to the scare the livin' daylights out of any decent self respectin' chookhouse for a hundred miles around.