PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Blues Song - "What’s EASA Got to Do with It?"
Old 13th Sep 2009, 10:41
flingwing1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
“. . . confusion is coming from lack of exprecience with EU regualtions”.

No doubt, that’s my problem. However, trying to get your mind wrapped around any new regulatory system takes time as you figure out what everything is called in the new system and where it is in the regs.

Some reg systems are more difficult than others. Not making the JARs available for free to new learners and, with the new EASA laws not yet (fully) drafted, the EU makes its system’s learning curve virtually impossbile to master for anyone without deep pockets to buy the regs sight unseen.

Thanks for the tip on the EUR-Lex site. Its “free access to European Union law” sounded good. I’d been there once before but quickly left because I found nothing in its set menus (on the left) about EASA or air laws. This time I tried a search. I plugged in EU OPS and nothing much came back. But I did see the term is “EU-OPS”, so I tried that.

Now I got 2 full pages of search returns - about 20 hits. The descriptions are mind-numbing. Below is an example:

------
52006PC0128
Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament pursuant to the second subparagraph of Article 251 (2) of the EC Treaty concerning the Common position of the Council on the adoption of a Regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council amending Council Regulation (EEC) n° 3922/91 on the harmonisation of technical requirements and administrative procedures in the field of civil aviation (EU-OPS) /* COM/2006/0128 final - COD 2000/0069 */

-----
And that’s just the title. The real information about that - whatever it is - is shown below. NOTE: this is only a few lines of the text for the "EU-OPS" search. This gibberish goes on for several pages about how the EU loves meeting and discussing things.
----
[pic] | COMMISSION OF THE EUROPEAN COMMUNITIES |
Brussels, 14.3.2006
COM(2006) 128 final
2000/0069 (COD)
COMMUNICATION FROM THE COMMISSION TO THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT
pursuant to the second subparagraph of Article 251 (2) of the EC Treaty concerning the Common position of the Council on the adoption of a Regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council amending Council Regulation (EEC) n° 3922/91 on the harmonisation of technical requirements and administrative procedures in the field of civil aviation (EU-OPS)

[cut]
----

Now, listen, if that looks anything like an air law, I’ll buy you a Starbucks at the location of your choosing. If really that European web site has Euro laws for free, then please tell me - step by step - where they are on that site. I may not know about the JARs or the EASAes - but I do know how to use a search engine. And that site's engine is too damned difficult.

Make you another bet. Try the "Advanced Search" and tell me if you can find EU-OPS in less than 15 seconds. It can't be done.

Thanks for the effort of giving me a clue but I’ve got a bad feeling about these EASA laws - they’re going to look like an elephant built by a committee. And the EU's search engines are made by people who should be committed to a mental hospital <grin>.