PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK - 5
Thread: CORK - 5
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2009, 06:42
en2r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Aer Lingus aircraft may spend more time in the air than the Cork FR aircraft but in terms of rotations the Cork FR aircraft is maxed out and it is not possible for it to do anymore rotations so therefore it is the most utilized with a max of 10 rotations per day, block times for Dublin are 50 mins and LGW is 1hr 25mins
Thats not true. At one stage (I think it was Summer 2007 but feel free to correct me) Ryanair operated 12 rotations - 5 return flights to Dublin and a return to Gatwick using the one Cork based aircraft. It used leave at 6.45AM and used not return until 23.10 each night. I really don't agree with your rationale for saying that Ryanair's Cork based aircraft is the most utilised. One of Aer Lingus's Cork based aircraft flies for 15 hours per day, and is in use from 6.10AM until 00.30 the next morning with turnarounds of 35 and 45 minutes (including crew changeover) at Cork yet only operates 6 rotations per day (all to continental Europe and the Canaries). Using your rationale thats terrible utilisation, yet you're saying the Ryanair Aircraft which only flies for 9.5 hours per say (7.40AM to 21.40PM) with a lot more time on the ground during the day but operates 10 much shorter rotations has brilliant utilisation??? Using your rationale, no one should operate longer routes to Continental Europe from Cork, they should all just operate 20 times per day to Dublin thus achieving the maximum number of rotations from their aircraft??
I didnt say anything about doing a 25 min turnaround in LHR but im certain Aer lingus turnarounds are nowhere near the 25mins FR have so therefore there aircraft could prob be utilized more.
Some of the turnarounds at Cork are only 35 minutes (for example between the Paris and the Amsterdam in the mornings). The max turnarounds are usually about 45 minutes (even if there is a crew changeover - thats quicker than Ryanair who allow at lease 50 minutes when there is a crew changeover!). Aer Lingus can't do anthing about the LHR slots, so even if they had 25 minute turnarounds at Cork (and not Heathrow) they'd still be restricted by the LHR landing slots and their departure time (regardless of the turnaround time) would therefore be restricted by the available landing slot at Heathrow. Amsterdam, Paris etc. are the same being slot restricted airports. Even if Aer Lingus tightened up their turnarounds, there just isn't room in the schedule to fit anything else in.

Last edited by en2r; 13th Sep 2009 at 06:53.