PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot handling skills under threat, says Airbus
Old 13th Sep 2009, 04:38
WhatsaLizad?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"
I'm sure the passengers notice the difference with the automatics off, and some regular flyers will start questioning why things aren't as smooth as they normally are.

Pilots could be rostered for an hours manual flying in the sim once a month, but that would cost money.........."
Metro,

Sims are great training aids, but in the end, they can't simulate the fine essence of handling the actual jet they simulate when it comes to the true beauty and art of flying. For a crude comparison, although my sauve, debonair self wouldn't know precisely, but I'd guess they rank somewhere like that of using an inflatable doll to simulate time with a lady versus using the real thing. Great for procedures, but somewhat lacking in enjoying the true experience.

As for passengers noticing the automatics off, well, not on my jet. I've always felt that with the smoothness of any passenger turbine aircraft, one should strive to have the passengers unaware of what phase of flight they are in between gear up and gear down. It can be done with proper handling and finesse. Despite what some professional aviators claim on this board, it is possible to fly smoother than the automatics on most jets, and my experience is from flying the F100, B757/767, B777 and the B737NG*(which I know isn't saying much, since a blind, epileptic chimp on Meth could fly smoother than that piece of crap autopilot)

It's just my personal opinion, but I feel that any jet airline pilot should have the piloting skills to pull the thrust levers to idle at F390, and properly manage their energy so that the next time they touch the thrust levers is at the final approach fix with the gear extending. I feel that I'm lucky to practice this in the Caribbean, and totally understand the limitations that many of us face with near zero chance to practice on the sectors they fly. A 20 minute hold at Ockham after a night of little sleep puts a little damper on manual flown hijinks, especially with a B777 1000' above and a B747 1000' below .

Last edited by WhatsaLizad?; 13th Sep 2009 at 05:27.