PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - collision
Thread: collision
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2002, 22:19
floppyjock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tacpot

I dont know where you got your information from, but in this country we dont do static line jumps from 10,000ft.

Most DZs also use Ram Air parachutes with forward speeds of up to 20 Knots. There are only 2 DZs that I know off that still use the old round parachutes for training.

There is no limit reguarding the upper wind limits, we are only restricted by the ground winds so dont assume anything, we will jump in it if you can fly in it.

Lets take the worst case where a jumper has a premature opening at an exit height of say 10,000ft with an upper of wind of 40knots and a 6.6 mins in the air which you suggest and facing down wind because he/she is disorientated. Not forgetting to add on a canopy speed of 20 knots making a ground speed of 60 knots. That makes a distance of 6.6 Naut miles if my whiz wheel is correct. But like I say, this is worst case.

In this country static line RamAir is done from 3500ft and free fall from up to 15,000 ft and are open by 2200ft. The 5NM you suggest is a good distance as a minimum, any closer you could be asking for trouble. Not only from jumpers but from jump aircraft in the decent.

You can also check with the DZ as most DZs use the common freq of 129.9 in the UK.

If anyone is flying in the east Fife area dont be afraid to give me a call when you passing the DZ at St Andrews I dont bite.

Floppy