PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Threat to the Shuttleworth Collection
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2009, 20:16
doppleganger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This story has troubled me ever since I read it in the Bedford newspaper a couple of weeks ago.

I have been a regular visitor to the Shuttleworth Collection, on non-flying days, flying proms, flying days and evenings, and every model flying day myself and my son can get to, as the hobby of model flying is one we share and enjoy very much. I have gone to the model flying days since I was just a lad myself and travelled from Yorkshire where I lived at the time.

My son and I were there just today, and as always, had a fantastic day, and returned home with every model either broken or lost - always the mark of a good day's model flying!

I really cannot see that it is a local resident making these threats in response to the noise. The nearest dwelling is in Old Warden village, some distance away and well out of earshot of the relatively quiet models. The impact with respect to noise and motor traffic through the village is minimal compared to the real aircraft flying days/evenings, not to mention the flying proms. There were tractors in the fields next to the airfield making more noise than we were. This makes me agree with the thought that it is somebody closer associated with SVAS with a particular grievance. He (or she) needs to be found, for their own good if nothing else, as they clearly need some attention from a psychiatrist.

But one thing I did find quite disturbing today, was a chap going around asking people to show their BMFA insurance. For those who could not, he was stopping them flying. Some were going home rather upset. I've never been asked for this before, was not asked at the gate when I paid my entrance fee and have not seen this as a requirement in any flying day literature. Is this really a requirement? If it is shouldn't the organisers advise all those who turn up with a car load of models before they pay their entrance fee?