PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructors with heavy feet
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2009, 19:15
vabsie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Instructors with heavy feet

Hi Again ..

As some of you might know I did my first solo about 2 weeks ago. Today, I managed to build on that with 3 solo take-offs and full-stop landings.

I have one "primary" instructor who's great. It's however totally understandble that he can't always (although he usually is) available due to personal commitments / holidays etc. This therefore gave me an opportunity to fly once with each of two other instructors (all good guys).

My question is this. When I'm asked to fly solo I find that using the rudder pedals is easy .. i.e. it does not take much effort to move them about. When I fly with an instructor (any of the ones so far) I find that it's MUCH harder.

In my mind, when the instructor says: "I have control", I usually let go of both the yoke and also take my feet off the pedals - Maybe I shouldn't?

I assume instructors therefore usually leave their feet on the pedals when they tell a student "You have control" ? Is it a safety thing?

I didn't ask this at the airfield this morning because I only really thought about it properly tonight ...

Keen to hear your thoughts thanks.

Vabsie