PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What altitude will you fly after a missed visual approach?
Old 12th Sep 2009, 18:34
9.G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If a visual approach is " An approach when either part or all of an instrument approach procedure is not completed and the approach is executed with visual reference to the terrain." would that not include the missed approach segment of the IAP ?
Let's have a practical look at it, shall we? Under EU OPS min req. VIS for a visual 800 m not more than that. Can you fly a traffic pattern with this VIS? I have my doubts. The purpose of the visual approach is to be placed into a position preferably on final to complete IFR procedure by visual means. nothing else. It's different under FAA, don't ask me why. Under no cuircumstances do the flight rules change you still fly IFR. Aerodrome traffic pattern is a standard procedure for VFR flights not IFR. Under IFR you fly circle to land not a a traffic pattern consequently in case of a go around you don't just join a VFR circuit pattern but fly MA for IAP in use. Why should it be any different for a visual approach? Once again in MHO the key to understanding here is the applicable rules namely Instrument flight rules. In any case I stand to be corrected of course.
Cheers.