PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot handling skills under threat, says Airbus
Old 12th Sep 2009, 15:34
lomapaseo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just how realistic is it, in today's busy airspace environment with the level of fatigue, to regularly practice hand flying skills? (and I'm not talking about disconnecting the A/P once established on the ILS!)
Are airlines willing to schedule a yearly extra sim session in order to maintain handling skills?
From my read of the other posts above, practicing in a busy airspace environment brings on its own level of risk. That's where the regulator needs to be a part of this. Extra sim sessions are a drawback to addressing the suggestion by Airbus but I would be hopeful that a rebalance of training requirements under the regulations could address this.

Lots of stakeholders here, but my thoughts are that the pilots should give a thought if there is any room to repackage their current simulator time to prioritize today's issues versus the old way of training to the regulations.

I'm not saying the old way is bad, but it is worth considering what's more important today. We shouldn't let regulations get in the way. The purpose of the regulations is to permit a safe environment and not as an impediment.