PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DESO/DEFO hiring
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2009, 15:12
cityflyer2009

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"However I am wondering if the direct entry SO program still exists with the new international cadet program having just started"

Was at the cadet pilot inteview recently and my first question to HR was why the program was suddenly opened up to me and other non-HK residents. They simply said its a cost cutting move of the future, with the main benefit of removing the expensive housing allowance for expats, particularly on the DESO role.

They said all SO going forward are to be local HK employees, and therefore given the role of a SO, it makes more sense to have a bigger shift to cadet intakes who generally are easier to accomodate the program. I interpreted this as a move to higher numbers of officers down the bottom end of the salary range, who are more likely to accept the move to HK, the salary and less likely to cause problems of promotion issues for the next 3 years with the gratitude of being bought into the industry. They said 50+ spaces on cadet program this year and that will increase again further so sounds consistent.

I dont think they are removing DESO completely, but I dont think the route of DESO is now what it used to be at Cathay and is only getting more restricted. In leyman terms, DESO are expensive in their job funtion relative to cadets and DEFO. Probably true as the info I was told was that SO's are on around £30.5k and FO's around £54k. Graduating cadets im sure will stay down the bottom range for at least 2-3 years.