PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sydney Kingsford Smith
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2009, 08:36
Ovation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FTDK

Like some of the other contributors, I prefer to go into YSSY rather YSBK. I found taxying there a bit of a challenge at first, but SY Ground are helpful if you tell them you're not familiar with the airport. It's sensible to plan ARR/DEP outside of the busy times to avoid scenic tours of Sydney or long over-water downwinds for RWY34.

As for the parking charges, I'd rather pay that than endure the anxiety of flying into YSBK GAAP, and then pay the $90 plus fare to North Sydney in a grubby taxi.

The biggest pain is getting through the turnstile gate over near the NSW Air Ambulance, where you can wait 15-20 min to get in and out after you've called them to let you through. On a couple of occasions my ASIC was not sufficent ID, and Security wanted to see my driver's licence AND my passengers licence as well.

I applied for an Airside access card to be able let myself through the turnstile, but they flatly refused, so you can land and take off, but you're not trusted to go through the turnstile on your own.