PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Avoiding Action: what do ATC assume?
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2002, 20:02
Plane*jane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Avoiding Action: what do ATC assume?

This is a real mindblower here. When ATC gives " <callsign> avoiding action turn left heading xxx "(usually 90 degrees or more) just what is the controller expecting from the pilot? As ex blip driver at LATCC I was in no doubt in my own mind that an expedited turn was the standard manoeuvre. However I am now on line with a regional and I have to say the responses from captains etc are in the least mixed. I've had "Oh that's only for light aircraft" to one Captain in UK TMA when we went pretty close in IMC to a 733, by him tootling round with his 27 degree rate one turn for 80 degree heading change. When I most firmly demanded he get a move on (that's putting in politely), he responded that it would disturb the passengers, and steep turn shouldn't be done because of airframe considerations. Back on the ground I managed to sort THAT one out diplomatically, only to be set back on my heels by a TRI. On being told to take avoiding action on one of our training trips he was most disturbed when I pointed out that more than a rate one turn was required.
I suppose that I could ask some old chums in WD but I know that this forum in particular has some sensible civilised and most experienced members, and would genuinely appreciate the views. most firmly
PS as we crisscross UK this call is not infrequent with all the military exercises sometimes
PPS Most pilots don't realise ATC work in TAS either