PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Valiant XD869 - Crash at Marham in 1959
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2009, 01:12
GIGFY

Location: The sunny side at Tuncurry/Forster, NSW, Australia - 32°10'14.88"S 152°29'5.22"E
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Missing Crew Chf

I joined 214 mid '59 as a lowly rigger and one of the first tasks impossed on myself and the other newbies was to assist in the clean-up of 869; we still though it to be 858 but who looks at the a/c # left on the pans?

There were only 6 bodies recovered and DNA would have been necessary to identify the deceased but dental records helped out there. To my recollection it wasn't Jarvis that had the flu but Barnet (?) - sorry, senile D kicks in now and again but I remember no-one but no-one could talk to him for yonks after. The TPI was blamed but I'm ashamed to admit that this was the first time I heard that if the crew survive then its either maintenance of unknown but if they die it will be human error. As you all have said, the TPI was a known fault and should have been 100% bypassed insteadm if my memory is correct, they put the swith next to the a/c trim controls. As Homer would say, 'DUH'.

I've just finished reading 'Vulcan 607' and it's great to see our Beetham and Price did so well; most deserveable.
GIGFY (guiness is good for you)