PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why do the RAF still use QFE?
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2009, 09:43
Fareastdriver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
jindabyne

You're not taking this thread seriously, are you?

Personally, I do not care whether the RAF uses QFE or QNH because:

i. I have not flown in the UK for a few years nor will in the future.

ii. In a military zone it is their train set so they can do what they like.

The pages of this thread seem to have been taken up with complaints about a military radar advisory service demanding that a civil aircraft in civil class G airspace set an altimeter setting that is only valid in their Zone. He has a point. Landing at that military airfield he would have to follow their rules;--but he isn't, so why should he change from his normal altimeter setting procedures. He would expect that a civil airfield giving him the same service would advise him to fly on their QNH, This QNH is used in the circuit and, more importantly, for instrument let down and landings. Because the airfield will stipulate a minimum height within a certain sector then terrain avoidance is guaranteed. The recipient can elect to fly however he wants in VMC but it is up to him to stay legal. The military service that this pilot was complaining about did not fit into that criteria.

The point is standardisation. The vast majority of flying in the UK is civil in the same way as the vast majority of road traffic is civil. They all obey the same rules on the road, so they should in the air.

Last edited by Fareastdriver; 11th Sep 2009 at 11:57.