PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spam from my email address
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2009, 08:08
arcniz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tip: Do not P.O. a professional Spammer

Quite a while back in the history of SPAM, maybe 1994 or 1995, I discovered the truth of the above tip.

One day I noticed my business email address was being mis-used in a commercial promotion that caused some modest number of rejections or undeliverable messages to be bounced back to the company.

The mail software gave very complete routing reports. From those I was able to trace the spam source to an address in a small town in Canada, with a few persons names, etc. associated in the ownership records for the spammers business.

Wanting to nip this in the bud, I called the town's local government offices and had chats with several people involved in Economic Development, Chamber of Commerce, etc. Also called the local police station & discussed possible legal issues with THE detective in charge. Chatted up a few local politicians, putting emphasis on the law & order aspects of spamming and how a few provocative calls to the press could give their town a global reputation. Got to know the spammer's situation moderately well, but we never talked in person. The whole town was only a couple miles square, and half the people responsible for the town's public image had the name and modus operandus of the spammer by the time the afternoon was over. Not much question but that he was nailed.

Next day, there were no more bounced mails with my company address forged on them. None for months after. I gloated.

Then, one day, my company mail overflowed... There were thousands, maybe tens of thousands of spam messages coming in from all over the world, in dozens of different formats. Happened every day after that.

Went on for years in sporadic cycles. Nothing much I could do about it. Was like having an entire colony of ants at one's picnic. Had to move the business activity to a different address space to save the time and hassle.

Moral... pick your fights even more carefully in the computer age...