PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet Airways Pilots Strike
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2009, 20:10
ELAC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As the NAG has stated, the issue immediately at hand isn't about expats, so why start into that?

FWIW, I was there and a part of the implementation of the widebody international fleet. There were many very qualified and capable Indian pilots, but there was also a need for the type and international experience brought by the expats. Both parts were equally necessary to the success of that expansion.

One other observation: As a pilot with a background in pilot/management relations I have never seen another company where the pilot group exerted as much ultimate power over the course of company affairs as was the case at Jet. Painting the situation as simply big bad company punishing poor little pilots for attempting to form a union is, I suspect, a gross underestimation of all the machinations that have gone before to bring the situation to a head.

I have great respect for my former Indian colleagues and wish them well, but I also have sympathy for the difficulties of managing an airline in India. I hope both parties quickly realize that their current course of action is quickly causing great damage to everyone's future prospects.

ELAC