PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet Airways Pilots Strike
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2009, 08:26
seniortrash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The company on the other hand know they can get pilots to replace them (strike breakers) within 24 hours if necessary from anywhere in the world.
You clearly have no knowledge or experience of India so may I suggest that you do not pontificate about such things.

To work in India, you need an employment visa - reckon on 5-7 days minimum to get one issued.
To fly an Indian-registered aircraft you need a FATA (Foreign Aircrew Temporary Authorisation) from the DGCA. This will take several weeks to get done.
You will need an Indian Government Security Check to get the FATA - mine took over 3 months.

Several of the recently-terminated Jet Airways expat pilots have been approached to return to the airline - effectively as 'strike-breakers' (I emphasise that this dispute is not technically a strike). I can happily report that these management approaches have been ignored or rejected. The Jet Airways national pilots have never asked for the support from the expat community, but they are effectively getting it.

The Indian press is rarely a reliable source of information. The journalists seem to be fed inaccurate stories by both sides to create their often hysterical pieces for their editors.

Sadly, this dispute will probably only weaken the company and the standing of the pilot body. There are rarely 'winners' in this type of situation.