PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question about variable-pitch propeller aircraft & slow flight
Old 9th Sep 2009, 11:40
baron_beeza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That "braking" effect you use is provided by the friction in the engine. The friction is between the piston rings and the cylinder walls and is most pronounced at the higher RPMS

FGD135

Have you got any references for your comments. I have been in this game for a long time and I am sure I have never heard any of this before.

This engine braking effect you speak of .............
many here have ridden motorcycles, - I am sure they will agree that a Yamaha 500 4 stroke twin will have far more engine braking than a Kawasaki 500 triple. And the Two stroke triple would normally be pulling far more revs.

I admit this was certainly true in the 1970's ........

I chose this mainly because every rider of the period knew only too well the differences in the 2 strokes power, - but also incidentally it was the same period as the engines in our aircraft were produced.

Please don't try and tell me that the 2 stroke has ports in the bore so the rings are not strictly against the cylinder walls the entire time.....

Engine braking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please don't tell me that your are involved in aircraft engineering in any capacity also.