PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India's turn around plan
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2009, 06:19
jimmygill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Difference

@Top Tup:
If you want to change the system, you have to accept the system or the system will reject you. Thereby denying itself and you a chance to change it. With no disagreement on whatever you have said, I do envy your position where in you can walk out and say, "not my business any more". While IndAir67 or me cannot and should not afford to have a similar position.

Just to highlight this difference, for example, if my commander, in flight requests me if he can smoke. I can do a lots of thing.
* Deny him and cite company policy and make sure that I fail the sim-session involving fictional ILS approach with one engine and two hydraulic systems failed.
* Allow him to smoke, and put on my oxygen mask.
* Allow him, don't put the mask, and gently hand him the two page pamphlet about adverse affects of smoking on flying performance. (Of which, I keep a copy ready)

Whatever I chose, I have to balance out risks, to my job and my passengers. It is unfortunate but some of us are in this situation.

And, about the 200hr pilots on right seat. Some people learn every hour, others stop learning after some time. Its not the 200hrs that matter, its the quality of training that matters. I am not saying that those in the right seats are as good as a 3000 hr pilot. Just that in principle they are good enough for the job, otherwise Boeing or the insurance companies themselves will point out the deficiency.

To IndAir67, and some others..

Its not about the 'culture-difference', it is how much of our culture do we reflect in our professional lives. We use different cultural yardstick in our personal and professional conduct.

Happy Landings
Jim