PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA's revised GAAP procedures.
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2009, 01:01
CaptainMidnight

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My impression is that the U.S. military must have surveillance of some means within a MOA, to know when to check fire or knock it off. Bear in mind not all military aircraft have air to air radar or the ability to interrogate a transponder, hence I suspect over there they put in radar surveillance for MOAs.

Also the document mentions contacting the controlling authority for a MOA, and the local FSS station to discuss activation and status. Apart from restricted areas surrounding RAAF bases (where ATC are contactable), I don't know of any others that have either good radar surveillance or someone who understands aviation to talk to. We also don't have FSS's.

I raised the point because MOAs are another NAS characteristic that don't appear to translate to this country.

The U.S. military and commercial organisations do indeed like to come here and conduct activity (e.g. past Global Hawk & Predator ops, commercial UAVs) due to our ATC and CASA flexibility and can-do attitude. They say within the U.S. their activity is too restricted by airspace, procedures and FAA rules and bureaucracy.