PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2009, 23:17
walter kennedy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I should add that, whatever the reasoning behind the initial finding of blame on the pilots, this political plus (putting the public at ease) may be reversed if the pilots are cleared and so any decision to do so would not be taken lightly.
This means that there has to be a strong case – not just legal niceties or appeals for clemency, as it were.
I would suggest that the only way of clearing their names in the forseeable future would be to dig deep and establish what else they may have been tasked with – there is, after all, plenty of evidence that this could have been the case – it just requires aircrew of the time (who would have credibility and authority) to come forward with their knowledge of equipment and procedures to acknowledge the significance and relevence of the many parameters I have pointed out.
It would be difficult for the first individuals to come forward, putting in their bit before being sure it is going anywhere while incurring the wrath of the system – a big ask? - just think of the injustice against the pilots, the lack of justice for the team that was lost and their colleagues who also had fought so long in vain, their families, and the people of the whole of the island of Ireland who have been so dis-enfranchised by the peace process that could only have come about with this crash removing those staunchly against it.