PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BMI
Thread: BMI
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2009, 20:13
MUFC_fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lets not underestimate this deal.

Realistically, it is a two horse race and it is likely LH will sell the company. So what would it mean for aviation, as remember - LHR is pretty much the global hub, not wanting to blow it's trumpet but it is the most lucrative and sort after airport on the planet and the number of slots BMI has in it's possession is ludicrous for, dare I say it, such a small airline compared to the likes of BA etc.

If Virgin were to get a hold of BMI, I think it would be stripped down. The most lucrative feeder services would be kept and the short haul fleet would be slowly fitted with world class interiors. I think for us as the general public and (more importantly) us aviation enthusiasts it would be a fantastic and game changing move at Heathrow that would put much more pressure on BA to reduce fares even further (if that is possible in the current climate!) I'm sure, having seen the interiors of Virgin America, SRB is capable of anything and if he was to fit the fleet with anything near that sort of comfort I would be first on board - and I fly BA! It would be either the making or the fall of Virgin Atlantic as the cost to mould the carrier would be astronomical while the benefits that would be there, if done correctly, would raise Virgin into an even stronger position in the aviation arena.

On the other side of the coin, what would BA do with BMI? The slots are clearly the reason for their interest and they would most likely have to give up a number of them upon gaining the carrier as it would push them well above the 50% barrier. Does LH and AF even have that at their respective bases?! For BA it would be a coup and I would not be able to even make an educated guess on if they would keep the aircraft or not, but - picture this:

BA/BMI/IB/AA at Heathrow? European Commission would have a field day as would SRB.

One thing is for certain, if VS comes out on top - it will mean a wide variety of changes at Heathrow and I can't wait to see what happens!