PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which flight trainning school to choose????
Old 8th Sep 2009, 15:43
art deco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you do your PPL in the states, GA has a much more relaxed atmosphere. It is all about enjoying your flying unlike the pompous and stuffy European attitude. It will be the best flying you do, in the sunshine with hundreds of great FREE destinations. (especially if you are hour building. Where else can you fly into an International Airport for FREE, borrow a Mustang for FREE and drive to a nice restaurant for dinner. (that bit is not free!) or the beach.
However, make sure you do not fall into the trap of lazy RT. Learn the correct iCAO phraseology and use it even though you might get a few raised eyebrows. Make sure you get good pre and post flight briefings.
The circuit pattern in the US is slightly different in that you start descent on the downwind leg, (I prefer this, it makes a smoother approach) so learn the JAA way also and practice good organised navigation technique.
There is nothing wrong with doing your licence out there, there is perhaps something wrong with one or two of the cheap schools especially if the owner is the examiner.
Aeroplanes do not fall out of the sky because the pilot has an FAA licence or has learned in the USA.
As for jobs, well it comes and goes. Yes there are unemployed experienced pilots without but yes there are some jobs if you are willing to completely re-locate. It is a Global Market. All industries cycle and people will always want to travel. Just as flight schools say the business is good so train now, pilots will say do not train because they do not want a glut of cheap pilots on the market. Both are justifiable.

You do whatever you want to do, but enjoy it.

Good luck