PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Forced retirement declared unconstitutional
Old 8th Sep 2009, 14:49
yycflyguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not with AC, nor am I an ACPA member, but it seems to me that age discrimination is one thing but when you put it openly on the table in specific terms for a unanimous number of your union colleagues to vote in favour of, then, when "you live by the union sword, you die by the union sword". (I should think)
So spare us the tears.

Even when the number of over 60s is but a handfull. Remember, majority rule?
ACPA may kick you out at 60 but our constitution guarantees that you can work till you can no longer hold a medical.

Now, all you over 60s, off you go. Apply to CanJet, West Jet, Sunwing or Transat. Let us know how the "age thing" works out for you. Especially the part where the Canadian Constitution looks out for your being over 60 at a time when we have a serious pilot shortage and these carriers are using foreign pilots right here in our own back yard to shore up their rosters.

Now there's a cause ACPA could take up. Like ALPA knocking them on the chops over their NHL JETZ operation. Wouldn't that be a more interesting battle for some of us CANADIAN pilots to witness
Willie:

Obviously you are not part of Air Canada or ACPA as only Air Canada Pilots are members of its union... hence AirCanadaPilotsAssociation = ACPA

The union voted for support of the Age 60 rule. The company supported age 60. It was the CHRT that determined it to contravene the Canadian Charter of Human Rights.

Where is this pilot shortage you speak of? The only shortage I see is the shortage of qualified, experienced pilots willing to work for sub-par conditions and pay. Low to medium time guys are a dime a dozen.

Air Canada was allowed a waiver to provide services point to point within the United States as allowed under the Bush Administration and grew its Jetz Charter with a reputation for being the best service for sports teams/musicians etc. The wheels are in motion to regain a waiver as this would really complicate the travel plans for all 6 Canadian NHL teams, 3 US NHL teams plus 2 NBA teams.