PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why do the RAF still use QFE?
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2009, 12:16
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you then decline that offer due to such technicalities of actually having a chance in hell of pulling off a forced landing, busting rule 5, generally getting the poo kicked out of you with the turbulence with the highish ground that they want you to fly over or of course remaining VFR.
Its was never refused without a reason.

But over the course of a year instructing I had students vectored into cloud, held high with not below instructions or level instructions so they busted VFR mins. Forced into flying at 400ft agl over hills. Which is a real no no in that area, that bit of airspace is all yours and it was drilled into them that sub 1000ft agl you were in the danger zone of meeting one one of the tonka's. And we all know that there is a huge whole in the radar coverage over the back side of easterton at the levels you lot fly at. One was told to standby when she called a pan due unsure of position because of glare off snow after being transfered by scottish info. It was such a contrast working with Tain range who I presume still are a cracking bunch of lads. It was a highlight for many a trial flight watching you boys/girls dropping bombs.

Actually if your in CAT you get a completely different level of service from them with no silly stuff thrown in. The few time's I have done VFR transits using them they haven't given any grief at all. It could be things have changed as my main experence with them was over 4 years ago now in GA. I had hope things had changed for the better, but a couple of the posts on this thread seem to indicate that they are not helping themselves again and GA traffic is avoiding talking to them. And if I had pax onboard I certainly wouldn't be at a level which would cause them to want to shift us; FL70. I think last time we went straight to INV radar from ABZ but I can't remember if that was the weekend or not.

To be honest your the first Mil person I have heard stick up for them.