PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2009, 10:38
Zippy Monster

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
According to some people on this forum, i think i should find some quick (and cheap) way of killing myself, because clearly the world is coming to an end, and all hope is lost.....
There's no need to resort to infantile retorts just because a few people express an opinion you don't share. You might be 'bored', but some people reading this thread might well be interested.

When you've got contributors like Mr Bigglesworth above (no offence intended, sir) who, before discussing the issue here, thought anyone with a 250hr fATPL could pop over to the Middle East or South Africa and happily jump straight into a medium jet, you have to question where this sort of idea comes from. One source, I would suspect, would be the marketing departments of these FTOs who talk about the ever-increasing demand for pilots in these 'emerging markets', while neglecting to mention that you've got more chance of winning the Euromillions without even buying a ticket than you have of getting a job there with an rating-less low-hour fATPL.

So actually, the discussion we are having here is absolutely pertinent and relevant to the CTC scheme and those intending to apply. Sorry if it bores you, but you could always use the scroll bar to skip to the more interesting stuff.

I have no idea what your position in the industry is at the moment - trainee (I suspect), unemployed or employed qualified pilot, but I would like to think that those of us on here who have been there, done that and bought the very expensive t-shirt have something useful to contribute. If you have an alternative opinion to offer then fine, but it starts to hold rather less weight if you have nothing to offer but bitter sarcasm.

it's pretty appalling if people are basing career decisions of what they read off here (because some people, sadly, believe everything they read
What a good job they do come here then. If they didn't, it might well be that the only evidence they have of the state of the industry at the moment is from the slick marketing presentations of the likes of CTC.

its about why you're a stupid T%@t to be considering training at the moment
Nope, that's not what's being said, but I would use expressions such as that to describe someone who was thinking of throwing nearly six figures' worth of secured loan at an integrated training course at the moment. Train slowly and cheaply, and adapt to the market situation. Right now, it's hopeless. If it shows signs of improvement, THEN drop everything and go for it from the position you're in.

Users shouldn't be subject to the vitriolic abuse they get for merely enquiring about a career in aviation.
Vitriolic abuse? I haven't seen any. Much of what's been on here recently has been informed comment from people who should at least be a little bit clued up. Sorry if you don't like it.