PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Queen furious at troop/kit shortages
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2009, 06:53
Jabba_TG12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Royals weighing in about Afghan & Equipment

The article was also picked up by one of the sunday papers.

Whilst not exactly being a full on monarchist, I noted when reading Stuart Tootal's book that when he highlighted his concerns about what he saw as being issues that would cost 3Para in Afghan in 2006 to the Prince of Wales, that Charles said to him, should I raise it with SecDef? Tootal thought about it and then said he would be grateful if he did.

True to his word, within 24 hours, John Reid was getting a lecture from Charles. Within 36hours, the excrement rolled downhill towards Tootal via CGS.

Which to me says a couple of things - and about this particular incident specifically

1) Honorary Colonel/Commodore/Air Cdre ranks given to the Royals can sometimes be a good thing when you need someone with influence to raise the profile of an issue when you're getting nowhere

2) My understanding from the press article is that it wasnt just the Sovereign herself, Phil and Charlie have also weighed in. If you're a NewLab defence minister, having the three most senior members of the royal family on your case, when you're already unpopular with the public is not likely to win you any plaudits and should force you to focus on the issues raised.

3) Harry's service in Afghan, curtailed though it may have been, has made these matters something that the senior royals can raise with some real level of credibility - one of their own has served out there in the same environment as the rest of the troops. No current serving politician that I am aware of (and I'm happy to be corrected, there may be one or two out of the 645 honorable members who have sons or daughters serving or have served) can say that... not just counting quick in and out visits to KAF and Bastion.

I somehow doubt this is the first time that the Royals have brought the subject up with Brown's administration; chances are, this is the first time it has leaked out as the exasperation of the Royals is likely to be increasing exponentially. As I said, I'm not a devout monarchist by any stretch of the imagination, but considering that those of us who did - and those who still do - attest to serve HMQ, her heirs and successors, to get the support coming back the other way means a lot. I would venture to those out there at the moment, news of the Sovereign weighing in on their side will be important to them and give them a lift, no matter how temporary. It would to me anyway.

Good on her.

What is regrettable is the lack of noise - and indeed forethought in planning between 2001 and now - by those holding star rank. Those who could have done something but didnt and quite happily just continued climbing the greasy pole and chasing their pensions. Far too many were far too quiet for far too long.