PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Michael Yon dispatch from Afghanistan
Old 8th Sep 2009, 04:43
Al R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I watched Dispatches on 5 last night.. the documentary about troops with PTSD. I steer clear of hyperbole, but it shook me to the core – 5 is capable of turning out stuff that makes you want to weep, which is why we need writing and reporting of this nature – shame on the MoD if it revoked his permissions without a reason that is in the public interest.

I accept that we will always send troops to battle in less than ideal circumstances, that’s the nature of the beast. But we have been there for.. how many years now? I am not going to second guess the tactical commander or the situation, but why has a man allegedly died because basic entry procedures into a clay and brick compound couldn’t be achieved properly? How long is it going to be before the troops get bloody tactical ladders?? This is more serious than helicopters, this is just basic stuff.. this isn't as if the bog roll hasn't got through.. this is a serious, basic defficiency - a man has died because there was apparantly, not a ladder available.. how much would a ******* ladder have cost??? Never in the field of human conflict were so many undermined by so few.. it boils my piss to think about it. Beaverbrook, where are you when we need you?

It seems to me to be maladministration – and maladministration of a particularly malodorous, self-regarding and suspect kind – for a publically funded body such as the MoD to acknowledge its oft repeated assessments of shortcomings with casual indifference these days.. it’s as if it knows that the public has become immune to it. But to make admissions and to continue to do nothing about a remedy and to withhold the reality from the public makes its position even more fragile. Did that refurb of Main Building going ahead?? How many ******* sets of ladders would that have bought?

I bet that if an infantry commander was allowed to have proper control away from the hideously useless centralised procurement system, we wouldn't get half as many problems. I am reminded of a Regt Flt Commander who once (allegadly!), in sheer frustration, actually went out and did that. Admittadly, he did own a useful chunk of Kensington & Chelsea which probably helped. A while back, I had cause to submit a request for a tactical ammo resupply and was told by the RQMS that he was not authorised to replace small arms ammo unless said request was accompanied by said empty cases. I told him that the empty cases were scattered about a minefield and that he was welcome to go back and do his own FOD plod. He was unyielding and I had to tap out a statement on his laptop (I carry a copy still, it amuses me) and I am as ever, reminded of Wellington’s missive which is framed and sits above me;

"We have enumerated our saddles, bridles, tents and tent poles. and all manner of sundry items for which His Majesty's government holds me accountable.. Unfortunately, the sum of one shilling and ninepence remains unaccounted for in one infantry battalion's petty cash and there has been a hideous confusion as to the number of jars of raspberry jam issued to one cavalry regiment. This brings me to my present purpose, which is to request elucidation of my instructions. Am I 1) to train an army of uniformed British clerks for the benefit of the accountant and copy boys in London, or, perchance, 2) to see to it that the forces of Napoleon are driven out of Spain?"

The only reason I would not attend a March in London to protest about g’ment incompetence is because it plays into the hands of the enemy and would undermine even further, the staggering job that HM Forces continues to do. I am one of millions seething in anger - some reading this from their lofty perches can rest easy in the knowledge we no longer lynch useless public servants. I hope they are able to enjoy long and happy flaccid retirements at the expense of Fusilier Etchells.