PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice after finishing training - what do I do next (Merged)
Old 7th Sep 2009, 21:23
the_daddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about...

How about this for an idea, we all hold hands, play nice, put our very educated and technically superior heads together and start our own airline?(!)

We could have terms and conditions that favour low hour pilots, paid-bonded type ratings, free food, uniforms, medicals and lots of time off to revel in our achievements..

In order to get this idea off the ground (pun intended) I vote that instead of letting fresh GCSE-waving wannabies give their money to the traditional outfits we coerce them into putting all their cash into a '787-purchase-fund-pool' and order a few wide bodies once we have enough of them sold on the idea.. (Pyramid scheme anyone?)

At this point I would like to inform you that as a low hour pilot myself the whole situation has sent me somewhat delusional and I am starting to believe this will be the only way!

As for my real answer to the original question; work hard in any job you can get while still keeping current, then work harder making sure you keep reading your ATPL theory books and anything else you can get your hands on. Once you feel there is no hope then work harder still and do the above again and again and again and again..

I personally enjoy learning and don't see this as a chore - I have read most of the books I have cover to cover three times or more and have learned something new in each case (Even the comm's one!). I also do this so that when/if an interview does come up I don't have to panic-read all the stuff in 2 weeks and can spend the time more wisely on preparing myself for the other interview parts. Isn't this common sense? I think so.

No one is going to hand this dream over to me or anyone of us on a plate and I believe only the most determined and adaptable will succeed (eventually/hopefully!)

Air travel will not disappear but the role of a Pilot will change as the airlines have to combat all forms of new and old challenges, namely the environment, fierce competitiion, oil prices and its availability etc.. At the moment I think the only option I have is to practice what I preach.. Back to 'eye-tee' for me..