PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why do the RAF still use QFE?
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2009, 20:40
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You ask for a service (25 miles from the radar head) and they ask you to set the QFE (something I find very surprising) and you ignore the request
Looks like lossie are still up to their old tricks. This is my experence from 4 years ago.

You get told to speak to lossie by ABZ when you start heading over westwards. And when I say told I mean told. If you decline the offer you then get it restated that they want to talk to you.

If you do then speak to them they will try and keep you at sub 2000 ft and remaining 20 miles to the south of Lossie and Kinloss. If you then decline that offer due to such technicalities of actually having a chance in hell of pulling off a forced landing, busting rule 5, generally getting the poo kicked out of you with the turbulence with the highish ground that they want you to fly over or of course remaining VFR. They then go to phase 2 of controlling you in class G airspace. Which is invent traffic in front of you and give you an immediate avoiding action due unknown traffic, of course moving you to the south where you didn't want to go. It works a few times then you spot the real reason for them wanting to move you is the circuit at Kinloss and they are trying to maintain radar sep on the circuit while keeping 3000ft clear for the instrument procedures. They control you in class G to try and maintain a exclusion zone way outside thier CMATZ.

So I completely know where the poster was coming from. And setting QFE is the least of your worries after accepting a "service" off lossie radar.