PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Everything
Thread: Everything
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2002, 21:24
bd01uk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everything

Hello everyone.

This is my first post but i have been reading this forum for ages. Its my second time writing this because i deleted it by accident. My name is Ben and im 17. I have been doing my PPL for about a year now with Cabair at Elstree (which i know that no-one seems to like) and have about 48 hours (due to gaps etc)Ive come to my skills test now and i feel that im ready for it. Well now a bit more about me. Just before i started my PPL i had my medical at Elstree, and was told i was colour blind. So i went down to Gatwick and my whole life just crumbled when they told me that i couldnt go commercial. I was 15 at the time and just cried my eyes out. My Mum asked me if i still want ed to fly and im glad that i said yes! At that time i was looking into what i was going to do at collegeand chose to do physics and maths before i found out. But that day, my mind just changed and i decided to do aircraft engineering which i started in September 2001. I quit it in the November because it was so boring and i wanted to think about flying. I now work in Marks and Spencer earning money to fly, but i wanna go back to college in September to do maths and physics in the hope that there will be a cure for colour blindness. Anyway, thats enough about me. Please continue reading if you will.

First Subject.

Skills Test.

Mine is gonna take place on the 23rd of June. Im looking forward to it and have practiced everything there is to it. But the real thing cant be the same as the mocks can it? What else will i need to do? What will i need to say in the speaking part? I know almost everything about the PA-28 but i need to know what he will ask. Im ery confident about it but and help will be greatfully apprciated. (sorry about the spelling)

RT Practical.

Its the last thing ive got to do on the ground and i just need to know what is involved in it? My radio work was really bad at first but now it has dramaically improved so i think it might be ok. I just need to know as much information about it as possible. Again i would be greatful for any help.

Ground Exams.

Take my advice, dont leave them till the last minute. I done 5 exams in the last 5 weeks up to the 18th May. The deadline day came, and at 7.30pm i sat my technical exam and hoped for the best, i couldn't bear to do the air law exam again. Gueuss what, i passed. Thank God

Elstree/AFIS

I know everyone goes on about it, but im really glad that i learnt there becuase of the business of it and all 4 circuits, 4 mile approaches etc. Also i know everyone goes on about the controllers, and i know the moody one (not personally!) but he has never said anything bad to me. Ive heard things that he has said to other people though. On the other hand there is also one of the friendliest controllers your ever gonna meet there as well.

Cabair.

I know that everyone thinks they are a rip-off and i admit it is a bit expensive but i dont have to pay for it all! Thank god for family. But the expensiveness wears off. The have the best instuctors and there are also always aircrft there to fly. And the aircraft are always in a decent condition.

CPL.

This is what i want to get at the end of everything. I know i cant until there is a cure for colour- blindness. I dont know if there is anything i can do so that i can earn money from flying, and ive tried looking at the CAA and FAA websites but cant make head nor tail of them. I would be greatful for anything ideas and help that anyone can give me.

I think thats the end of my essay but if i missed anything out, i will reply to myself. I hope you enjoyed reading this but please no bad comments if you didn't. Plese could you reply in the forum or send me an email if you have any ideas. Thanks for reading again.

Cheers

Ben

[email protected]