PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1000 hrs and I fancy a change
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2009, 12:26
Luke SkyToddler

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
1000 hours VFR in singles = not particularly impressive even as total time, once you have 3000 and nowhere to go then it's time to move on sure but, if you really plan to stay in GA then your next step is probably a multi piston job in a chieftain or something like that and a lot of people won't even let you near one of those without 1500 or 2000 total. I got my first paid Seneca job with a bit over 2000 TT in singles and only got the big upgrade to the chieftain after a year in the seneca ;(

If your long term goal is airline work, even in 5 or 10 years down the track, your only ambition should be first and foremost multi engine and / or IFR work of any kind. King Airs / B1900s or something like that would be your ideal target market if you can find them, although I'd even take a hammered old Aztec in preference to the C208 if I had the choice personally and my long term goal was returning to Europe. The caravan, although it looks pretty cool if you're still driving the C206, does not actually cut any more mustard if it's still operated as VFR bush bashing. I know that Maun is 90% piston singles but if you can even get a tiny sniff of some multi or some IFR while you're there, then pursue it relentlessly, even 100 or 200 hours of that will open a few bigger doors.

I wouldn't really view a trek to PNG as a progressive step in your career, certainly not if you're getting paid to fly in Maun.