PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2009, 11:01
cliffnemo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V.E Day.

One thing that really impressed me at Hemswell, was the ‘Esprit de corps’ (Consistently in pursuit of a common purpose.) . I don’t think I have ever experienced such dedication before, or since. Every one from the A.C 2s up to the C.O had only one goal, Unlike in industry where often people are pulling in different directions, and criticizing the ‘boss’ who doesn’t know what he is doing. In fact the upper ranks , who had already ‘done their bit’ were eventually forbidden to go on voluntary opps, as too many experienced officers were being lost..

With the end of the war approaching fast , it was decided to bomb Hitler’s retreat at Berchesgarten as it was suspected he was in residence. 150 SQDN was to take part. I hoped and prayed that our crew would be chosen, but it was not to be. Consequently I visited the engineer leader and asked if I could stand by in case he was short of an F.E. , but was told ‘join the queue’ .Frustrated again, a feeling I had throughout the war.

When it was officially announced that the war in Europe was over we decided to celebrate on the parade ground, with an evening bonfire, and fireworks ( using any Vary pistols and pyrotechnics we could acquire) The bonfire was built that afternoon using any combustible material that was not screwed down. The evening started off well with the airmen still ’ ‘pursuing a common cause‘ but the cause had altered slightly. Tables and chairs were brought out of the various messes and offices, and also a grand piano. An accomplished pianist, soon began to play all the usual ribald songs, and I must say, I had never seen so many happy people on an R.A.F station before, the atmosphere was electric , and the noise from singing airmen was deafening. Dancing on the tarmac square was rather difficult, but the W.A.A.F s did not complain. One thing that marred the evening somewhat was when some clot started to fire a Vary pistol almost horizontally just above the heads of the revellers. However he was quickly subdued and normal chaos resumed. When the fuel for the bonfire ran out, empty beer barrels were collected from the mess and burnt. However one thing annoyed me somewhat, was when the fire beginning to die out, some bods threw the grand piano on also. There were no repercussions, fights or fizzers ,everything brushed under the carpet, and the hole in the tarmac quickly repaired.

The following morning a church parade was organized. Crew buses and three tonners were used to transport us to the outskirts of Gainsboro from there we marched to the church in the centre of the town, preceded by a military band. Military bands are supposed to invigorate the marchers, but I’m afraid it didn’t work for this sorry looking bunch of stragglers, all suffering from the effects of the night before.
Shortly after V.E day it was decided to empty all the bomb dumps, and to this end we loaded the Lancasters with Incendiary and H.E bombs and took them almost to the middle of the North Sea. I say almost, because we did not have bacon and eggs the following morning. More likely porridge, cheese on toast, or other tasteless food. After this task was completed, we flew on ‘Cook’s Tours’ which consisted of taking ground staff on a tour of the Rheine valley, and the Ruhr , and showing them the effects of the bombing. I was surprised, when it was a bit ‘bumpy’ how many were airsick.

I reproduce this scan as it was removed by Photobucket on page 10 #187