PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Too Old To Make My Dream Come True?
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2009, 09:29
Desk-pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to say this but

Sorry to say this because I was once an older mid life career changer too but I wouldn't do it unless you can fall back into your previous career and suffer little serious financial hardship from giving it a go.

The airline industry is in a terrible state, it will be on its back with its legs in the air for the next 2-3 years I reckon.

Secondly if you're lucky enough to get a job at the end of training the salary on offer for the hours worked isn't likely to be very attractive.

The lifestyle offered nowadays is actually quite poor compared to many alternative careers - you'll miss birthdays, holidays, christmas etc I can't get any leave between early Dec and end of January this year or last.

On a good day, with a nice crew yes, it's still enjoyable but maybe not enough to make up for not being there with your family on Christmas morning.

Those few airlines offering a better lifestyle are currently laying off pilots and you won't get a crack at an interview with them until you have 3-5 years experience.

By all means do your PPL and some hours building for fun, just be under no illusions most airlines nowadays will fly you so much that after a few years you'll wonder if there might be an easier way to make a living as you get older and more tired!

Good luck,

Desk-pilot