PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC - what's the latest ?
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2009, 07:28
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilots can get caught out by weather worse than forecast.
That is not the point it demonstrates.

It demonstrates that instrument rated pilots very rarely get caught out by the weather going below minima but they would get caught out by this type of artificial minima.

In my experience IMC rated pilots, and indeed the majority of IR rated pilots, when flying GA type aircraft do not "push" the minima. I cant think of a single occasion when I have arrived and the ILS has been below minima. Indeed it is rare to find these conditions on days (note days) on which GA pilots typically fly.

I also cant think of a single accident involving an IMC rated pilot during the approach segement of a flight but I can think of many involving pilots with an IR. Whatever IMC rated pilots are doing they seem to have developed a pretty good means of flying approaches to the same minima as pilots with an instrument rating. Given the population of GA IMC rated pilots in the UK is more than 10 times the size of those pilots with an instrument rating they would seem to be doing a pretty good job.

What evidence do you have they are not?

I am sorry to keep referring to evidence, but it seems to me this is the crux of the issue. Those seeking change HAVE NO EVIDENCE to support the changes they seek. I am happy to accept change if there is good reason, but change for change sake is a very bad idea.

I wouldn't.
That is a problem. Your argument has little creditability without.

Moreover for all we know you might be "representing" one of those arguing for the adoption of the EIR? If you are you should have the courage to nail your colours to the mast.