PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question about variable-pitch propeller aircraft & slow flight
Old 6th Sep 2009, 22:32
steve181

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about variable-pitch propeller aircraft & slow flight

This question is specific for a normally aspirated Cessna 172RG with variable-pitch prop.

First & foremost I know the aircraft flight manual will shed some light on this but I wont get a chance to have a good read of it until next week, so I'm just after a generalized answer until then.

Say I have pax on board & we are sight seeing over a small city. I want to fly at a slow speed suitable for this situation, I would even put on a stage of flap.

What is better? Reducing the manifold pressure then bringing the pitch control to full fine (Just like a finals configuration) & hence treat the aircraft as fixed pitch (throttle controls RPM etc) OR find the MP/RPM configuration suitable for the purpose of sightseeing at slow speed given the aircraft weight etc, for example 20"/2050RPM or 2100"/2150RPM etc etc.

The first option I think would be more suitable, especially if the turns are steep enough to require more power in the bank. Imagine doing a 45 degree turn with the second option, I'd need to increase the RPM then increase the MP & vice versa once I've leveled off, so much work compared to the first option!