PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is an IMC really needed?
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2002, 18:31
Keef

Official PPRuNe Chaplain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm glad FormationFlyer wrote what he did, because he said it far more elegantly than I would have.

The "myth" of the IMC rating being "only" a get-out-of-trouble rating was begun by an ex-military brass hat who should have known better. Unfortunately, his diatribe has been picked up by a variety of "initiates" who disapprove of anyone less "qualified" than themselves being allowed to play in "their" clouds.

It's not the IMC rating that's wrong when folks get into trouble in IMC. It's lack of practice.

I did an IMC rating, many years ago, and used it "in anger" many times. More recently, I "upgraded" to an FAA IR (the JAA IR being unreachable by a PPL these days). The IMC rating plus experience stood me in excellent stead for that, and reduced the hours needed for the IR by about 75%. Yes, the IR is still more difficult, but I wouldn't say I was unsafe in IMC before.

So, to anyone between PPL and CPL, I would say "go for the IMC" - it will improve the accuracy of your flying, and it might save your life.

But don't venture into known icing unless your aircraft is equipped for it. There isn't usually a lot of known icing in Southern England in summer below 10,000 feet, so enjoy!