PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC - what's the latest ?
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2009, 20:15
blagger

In my opinion, the critical point that has been missed is a robust analysis of the actual use of the IMC and motivations / intentions of the people who get and hold it. Without any decent data of this ilk, everyone is largely talking from opinion and we can only rely on a feeling that the original IMC 'requirement' remains valid and is satisfied by the current IMCR. The AOPA survey was a brilliant opportunity to tackle this, but with no results out I fear it could be too late to influence the debate and I struggle to understand what 'requirement' the FCL008 committee are working towards satisfying.

Again in my opinion as an FI, I reckon 80-90% of the people who get the IMCR want it for the skills to go flying in poorer vis [than they would fly in with a vanilla PPL], to get up on top of broken cloud layers and for the confidence that they can get down safely if they end up in IMC. It is my third point that has really attracted every IMCR holder I have ever known. Indeed, on many PPL [non IMC holding] checkouts and currency checks I get people asking to try an SRA or ILS for the experience.

I bet if we lose the IMCR and end up with the EIR, people will not bother with the EIR and we will see unofficial IMC 'courses' spring up where people can experience some IAP tuition with an FI for emergency use only.