PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan (AJX) B767
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2009, 15:50
crj705

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And here we have it again. We just are not smart enough to get it.

There is no doubt that the Japanese run their companies differently that in the west. We all understand that. But, do you really think that western managers would hesitate to let pilots go (or snip our balls off) should the need arise? How many pilots have been let go in the US compared to those in Japan? In that sense, we are all just machine operators that are filling a void until we are no longer needed. I don't see much difference there between Western and Japanese managers.

What this all boils down to is job security. You come here and you are signed to a 5 year contract. That contract may or may not be renewed. Let's look at my job prospects for the next 5 years if I were to leave here and go to the US. Well, to start off with, no one is hiring. Even if they were, i will be stuck in the right seat at crap wages God knows how long.

Compare that with AJX / AJV who are still hiring. Not only are they hiring, they are also upgrading. Where else in the world can you go and have a shot at the left seat of a wide body aircraft in 3 years time, even in good times? Not only that, FO pay here is probably the same, if not more than what most Captains make in the US. If for some reason my contract is cancelled early, I am entitled to 12 months of pay. (PARC....I think CREW is different) That is a pretty good cushion.

As far as us being treated poorly.... I don't know how it was at JAL, but here at ANA, I have been treated better that I could have ever dreamed of in the US. I know they don't want us here. I knew that coming, and I accepted it. But it does not show in the way we are treated.

Some examples: In training, they were nice enough to ask us if it would make the training experience easier if we were moved out of the hotel into furnished apartments. Most of us said yes, and shortly thereafter, we were all moved into very very nice furnished apartments in Shinagawa.

Another example. I have been given 2 pay raises since I have been here. None of which have been included in an amended contract, which means they could be taken away at any moment. With the times being so bad, have they taken them away? Nope.

Another. The scheduler here bends over backwards to accommodate special requests. I have gotten every day off that I have every asked for and made my commute home the same day i finish work every time. I have also had things come up at the last minute that required me to leave and go home. The company gave me not one ounce of grief and only told me to let them know when I was ready to come back.

Does this place have things that can be improved on? Sure. What company doesn't?

Given ANA's future growth plans, their number of retirements compared to their annual intake of local pilots, and given that the economy in Japan is turning around, in my opinion, if you were to come to AJX or AJV, your job security is as good if not better than what you would have at any company in the US. (and i assume probably most other parts of the world too). In addition, you will be treated better here than any company in the US treats their employees. I will state again however, everything is subject to change. That is the same for a Japanese airline or a Western one.

Some of us have gone to great lengths to try to learn about the Japanese while we are here. As I have said before, we are not a bunch of uneducated idiots living in oblivion.